Re: [idn] URL encoding in html page

At 02:40 AM 4/3/2002 +0800, James Seng wrote:
> > Exactly correct.  However we need to highlight that the DNS concerns
> > resolution.  It does not really concern display.
>
>I am here in the middle with one group saying "we care only about
>resolution" and another which say "display is also important". I am trying
>to balance the two group by putting the all concerns together.

James, display of new strings within old parts of the system is NOT a
concern for this working group.  With respect to new strings in old part of
the system, the only thing that matters for this working is that the
protocol and software do not break.

>If display is not of your concern, then you can ignore that column.

I'm sorry, but this is not a question of my own interests. Personally, I
happen to like discussions about usability and human factors. However the
question is what is within the scope of this working group's effort.

Yes, it is important for this group to know enough so that it does not
break user software that conforms to Old ASCII DNS.  However that is all.

It is not our job to specify end-user software.  If we pursue that topic at
length, we do two things that are wrong.  One is that we go outside the
scope of the charter.  The second is that we will be trying to work on
something for which we have no history of competence.

> > James, forgive me, but I do not understand why the analysis is considering
> > a component that is entirely outside the standard.  Components that do not
> > participate in a standard are not relevant to a discussion about
> > interoperability.
>
>Then let me rewrite this:
>? since sending application A1 is non-IDNA, it is outside IDNA to predict
>its behavior.
>
>Let me know if this is agreeable.

definitely is agreeable.  thanks!

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850