Re: [idn] URL encoding in html page

At 11:23 AM 4/2/2002 +0800, James Seng wrote:
>Case 2: From IDNA A1 thru MIM to non-IDNA A2
>A2 receive ACE. But it is not able to understand ACE so it display the ACE
>as-it-is.

So that we are clear:  nothing breaks.  The string is ugly, but it is legal
and A2 does with that string whatever it usually does with ASCI DNS strings.

>Case 3: From non-IDNA A1 thru MIM to IDNA A2
>
>A1 capability to handle IDN is unknown. It may send out as-is in whatever
>encoding the user specify.

Sorry, no.  If A1 is a non-IDNA DNS mechanism, then it supports non-IDN
strings.  In other words, it supports the existing set of ASCII DNS strings.

You are specifying that a mechanism which is not converted to IDNA will
somehow start issuing new strings that are neither current ASCII nor
IDNA-encoded ASCII.

Unless you can provide more detail to this example -- so that we can
understand concretely how it could happen -- then the problem with the
example is that it will not happen.

>Case 4: From non-IDNA A1 thru MIN to IDNA A2
>
>A1 capability to handle IDN is unknown. It may send out as-is in whatever
>encoding the user specify.

This example has the same problem as Case 3.

The simple scenarios that ARE valid are simply:

Reality 1:  Old ASCII mechanism interacts with Old ASCII mechanism the same
always.

Reality 2:  New IDNA mechanism interact with New IDNA mechanism, for
extended names, as specified by IDNA.

Reality 3:  New IDNA mechanism interact with New IDNA mechanisms AND with
Old ASCII mechanisms, for old names, the same as always.

Reality 4:  New IDNA mechanism interacts with Old ASCII mechanism, for
extended the names, in the old way, except that the Old ASCII mechanism
sees some truly ugly strings.  Except for the lack of prettiness, the
interaction with Old ASCII DNS mechanisms is unchanged.

d/

Dave Crocker <mailto:dave@tribalwise.com>
TribalWise, Inc. <http://www.tribalwise.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253; fax +1.408.850.1850