Re: [idn] Re: peanut gallery

Mark Davis <mark@macchiato.com> wrote:

> 1) Presence in the G source is *not* an indication of being either
> "Chinese" or "simplified Chinese."

I know.

> The IRG sources are indications of who *asked* for a character to
> be included, and *not* an indication of "what kind of character" is
> involved.

I understand.

> Excluding G-source-only characters on the presumption that they're SC
> would be a mistake.

I am not presuming that they are simplified.  I am presuming that the
Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, and Vietnamese communities will not be
bothered much by having those characters prohibited or folded, since
those countries never asked for them to be included in the first place.

> You *cannot* from the 10646 data, or the IRG data, or presence in
> charset mappings extrapolate whether a particular ideograph is SC or
> TC.  You must have knowledge of the individual characters.

Right, which is why this latest proposal would leave those questions in
the hands of the Chinese experts, not us, not the Unicode folks.

AMC