Re: [idn] Re: peanut gallery

Mark Davis <mark@macchiato.com> wrote:

> The 'prohibit Simplified Chinese code points', even from a purely
> technical point of view, is a bad idea.  Trying to do it by just
> algorithmically comparing SC/TC standards (e.g. GB 2812 to GB 12345)
> based on mapping tables will give the wrong answer.

Maybe so, but the goal of the proposal was not to settle the question
of exactly which characters are simplified and which are traditional,
the goal was to prohibit some code points that have no use outside the
Chinese community in order to leave the door open for partial TC/SC
folding in nameprep.  (We know that nameprep could never be capable of
full TC/SC folding.)

(And let say again that I favor IDNA as proposed.  This is just a backup
proposal in case a compromise is needed.  I hope it's not.)

Here's a more precise version of the proposal:  Prohibit a Han code
point iff it has a kTraditionalVariant and has only "G" sources
(China/Singapore).  Would that do what I intend?  The list of such code
points could be generated from Unihan.txt by a small awk script.

AMC