Re: But are we talking IPv6 only? That's how I read the draft. (Re:Some suggestions for draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-03)

Templin, Fred L   (m/j/a) 8/29/08 5:03 PM:

- ISATAP is a tool that assigns full /128 addresses to IPv6 hosts of IPv4-only sites. - If my understanding of the subject is right, it is therefore not a tool to assign an IPv6 prefix to a router CPE behind which several hosts have teir individual IPv6 addresses. (A prefix shorter than /128 would be necesssary, typically /48 to /64).

Sorry, but that is too limited a view. ISATAP routers can
indeed be assigned prefixes via DHCPv6 IPv6 prefix delegation
(or manual config) and can function as IPv6 routers for
more-specific prefixes than just ::/0.

In other words, there are "traditional" ISATAP routers that
service default routes for forwarding to end systems outside
of the site and ISATAP routers that service more-specific
routes for forwarding to end systems within the site; even
if the end systems are deeply nested in "sites-within-sites".

Quite interesting.

Is there a document where "non traditional" ISATAP you are refering to
is described?

It should be related to what I am currently working on, namely a generic
architecture for global address tunneling.
- Its scope is IPv4 or IPv6 global addresses, via IPv6 or IPv4 realms in which addressing may be global or local.
- It will include 6to4, "traditional" ISATAP, 6rd,  and several new
useful configurations.

The plan is to have a draft for IETF 73.

Rémi