RE: Some suggestions for draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-03

> >> How does it know that a Protocol 41 packet is unsolicited?
> >
> > The same way it knows a non-protocol 41 packet is solicited: the
> > host sends a packet first -- the host being protected by the CPE
> > doing Simple Security.
>
> How does that work if Host A (behind the CPE) has informed Host X
> (outside) of the tunneled address of Host B (also behind the CPE)?
> In other words A has solicited X to send a packet to B.

The network diagram would look like this, I believe:

              +-----+
    Host A ---+     |
              + CPE +--------- Internet ------  Host X
    Host B ---+     |
              +-----+

If the CPE is providing security -- as this draft is titled -- the
traffic from X to B would be blocked.

To permit such traffic, B would need a way to tell the CPE to allow
such traffic from X (or to allow arbitrary traffic from any host
on the Internet).  This is described in Section 3.4 of
draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-03 (where James mentions
Apple's ALD") but, to my knowledge, has not received much
attention and I do not know if it has working group consensus.

-d