Re: Comments on draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-01.txt

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 07:31:58AM -0400, Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:
> > - false: you need a global address on the WAN interface for uRPF
>
> If you don't see the obvious problem with uRPF with just a link-local
> address on the WAN interface, I suggest you go do a test and get back to
> us.

Whether or not a specific *implementation* fails with this has nothing
to do whatsoever with "obvious problems".

There is no fundamental problem with uRPF over "unnumbered" interfaces
(be it link-local or explicitely configured as "ipv6 unnumbered <other>").

The example that you have given ("default route is special") is fairly
irrelevant - because it's still special, even if you have a global IPv6
address on the WAN interface.  So you if you do uRPF without a default
route, you will still not be able to receive packets "from the world" -
you'll be able to receive packets from connected neighbours, and
nothing else.  Which isn't overly useful.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  110584

Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279