Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

The only time the CPE router needs to use GUA is if it has never received a delegated prefix. Prefix delegation uses the same leasing mechanism as address assignment; if the WAN interface on the CPE router is not up, the CPE router can still use the previously delegated prefix on the subscriber network.

So, as long as the CPE router has been connected to the ISP network at least once and has obtained a delegated prefix, there is no need for GUA. To avoid unnecessary complexity, I would strongly recommend that the CPE router be required to complete an initial prefix delegation operation when first connected to the ISP before enabling any downstream interfaces. Once that prefix delegation takes place, it is immaterial whether the LAN or WAN interface comes up first.

This discussion brings up the problem of subscriber network operation - is it an explicit goal of this document that the subscriber network be able to operate even if the WAN interface is not up? What are the expectations for that unconnected operation and what services must the CPE router provide to meet those expectations?

According to the spec, the requesting router can only use the delegated prefix until the lease on the prefix expires. We hadn't thought about relaxing that restriction to allow the requesting router to continue to use the delegated prefix until it has a WAN connection back to the delegating router.

- Ralph