From: Rémi Denis-Courmont [mailto:rdenis@simphalempin.com]
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 10:58 AM
To: Alain Durand
Cc: Hemant Singh (shemant); v6ops@ops.ietf.org; Wes Beebee (wbeebee)
Subject: Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

Le vendredi 18 juillet 2008 19:25:54 Alain Durand, vous avez écrit :
> Supporting both ULA & GUA at the same time is also a source of
> complexity and confusion. The key problem I see is with external
> referrals in multi-party communications where some of the hosts are
> inside, and some are outside. Mixing ULA & GUA can have complex
> consequences, and again generates service call.

Yeah. Broken RFC3484 implementations will do just that. But all nodes (broken and non-broken RFC3484 implementations alike) will *break* without ULA, until we have *instantaneous* 100%-reliable and 100%-available upstream connections (which we will NEVER have). Without this, the network will simply not work until the ISP connection is established (if ever), which is a total non-starter. Therefore, it seems like a total non-question that ULA is the way to go.

> Also, if I read the text correctly, if the WAN interface gets
> configured first, no ULA are generated. Which leads to confusing
> situation depending on whether the customer turns its modem on before or after its CPE.

You may have a point here.

> I would rather like the text to recommend to only use ULA when nothing
> else is available and immediately renumber to GUA when those are acquired.

And break existing connections on the local network? Total no go.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/