Re: New (-02) version of IPv6 CPE Router draft is available for review

Le vendredi 18 juillet 2008 19:25:54 Alain Durand, vous avez écrit :
> Supporting both ULA & GUA at the same time is also a source of complexity
> and confusion. The key problem I see is with external referrals in
> multi-party communications where some of the hosts are inside, and some are
> outside. Mixing ULA & GUA can have complex consequences, and again
> generates service call.

Yeah. Broken RFC3484 implementations will do just that. But all nodes (broken
and non-broken RFC3484 implementations alike) will *break* without ULA, until
we have *instantaneous* 100%-reliable and 100%-available upstream connections
(which we will NEVER have). Without this, the network will simply not work
until the ISP connection is established (if ever), which is a total
non-starter. Therefore, it seems like a total non-question that ULA is the
way to go.

> Also, if I read the text correctly, if the WAN interface gets configured
> first, no ULA are generated. Which leads to confusing situation depending
> on whether the customer turns its modem on before or after its CPE.

You may have a point here.

> I would rather like the text to recommend to only use ULA when nothing else
> is available and immediately renumber to GUA when those are acquired.

And break existing connections on the local network? Total no go.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.remlab.net/