From: Ralph Droms (rdroms)
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 6:34 AM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Cc: Ralph Droms (rdroms); Iljitsch van Beijnum; IPv6 Operations
Subject: Re: Comments on draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-01.txt

Assigning a prefix through DHCPv6 is equivalent to assigning an address,
which is inherently stateful.

Sections 11 and 12 of RFC 3633 specifies that IA_PD options are carried
in Solicit, Advertise, Request and Reply messages (as part of the
initial RR<->DR message exchange).

I note that RFC 3633 does not explicitly disallow the inclusion of an
IA_PD in an Information-Request message (as used in "stateless"
DHCPv6) or the inclusion of the IA_PD code in an ORO; however, the text
in RFC 3633 that describes the prefix delegation mechanism is, I think,
unambiguous in its description of how the IA_PD is used.

- Ralph