RE: Comments on draft-wbeebee-ipv6-cpe-router-01.txt

BTW, we have already replied to Barabara on July 8th that unnumbered
model that she proposed by giving global IPv6 addresses to LAN
interface(s) and only a link-local to WAN interface(s) is fine for the
CPE Router. See the email exchange below. I was just warning today that
for routing functionality, we just need a global IPv6 address on the WAN
interface. After all, the CPE Router is a router.

3. I disagree with the behavior suggested for "unnumbered" model. I
don't think a CPE router should automatically open up a maintenance
loopback interface just because it doesn't get a global IP address. If
this is a retail CPE router, I think it really shouldn't be setting up a
maintenance loopback interface by default. Our access network is
definitely considering not giving out global addresses to the WAN
interface, but we have no requirements for any "loopback" maintenance
interfaces at all. We have considered the possibility of a separate IP
address for our TR-069 management of the CPE routers that we supply, but
would want this to be a configurable option. As a default, we believe
that the global address that the CPE router selects for its LAN
interface is sufficient for all WAN-side Internet communication,
including VoIP, TR-069, ping, traceroute, etc. [I often do ping tests
from the router when my WAN is having problems].

<hs>No problem. So if the SP is not doling out an IPv6 address to the
WAN interface, is the SP doling out an IA_PD option to the CPE Router?
If yes, then when global IPv6 addresses from the IA_PD get assigned to
the LAN interface(s) of the CPE Router, one can always use one more
global address to configure on the WAN interface. However, if an SP does
not like assigning of a global IPv6 address to the WAN interface, that's
is fine with he CPE Router for PPP. Further, if the SP does not dole out
an IA_PD but assigns one IPv6 global address to the LAN interface(s),
that's a model the CPE Router also does not have a problem with
supporting for PPP. However, for non-PPP cases, the CPE Router will need
a global IPv6 address on the WAN interface and the WAN prefix must be
different from the LAN prefixes because the WAN and LAN interface(s) are
two separate routing domains of the CPE Router. We have received
feedback from you (AT&T), NTT (Japan), and some folks in Europe. We will
work on the text of our document to be general enough that we satisfy
all folks.
</hs>

However, we didn't still not make any change in our -02 draft for
Loopback interface because we want to first see if a common model for
the CPE Router can be found between AT&T, NTT, and other European DSL
folks.

Hemant