Re: Router Solicitations

Hi Niklas,

Niklas Neumann wrote:
JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 wrote:
Thank you for your response. Just to make it perfectly clear to me:
How long is a unicast address valid?

Until its valid lifetime expires.

- Until the host gets disconnected from the link?
- Until some timeout expires (e.g. Router Lifetime, DHCP Lifetime)?
- Some other trigger (e.g. L2 trigger)?

So link disconnection or other L2 triggers are not supposed to have any impact on the lifetime?

This really depends on the implementation you are talking about. If you are talking about a standard RFC4861/RFC4862 compliant node, it does not make a difference. But there is work ongoing in the ietf to change this. e.g. We are working in the dna working group to come up with a solution that updates standard neighbor discovery. In the dna solution, an L2 trigger invalidates the address until it is verified to be still usable. You can check out RFC4957 and http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dna-simple-00 if you would like more info on this work.

Thanks
Suresh