Re: Router Solicitations

At Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:55:13 +0200,
Niklas Neumann <niklas.neumann@cs.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:

> Thank you for your response. Just to make it perfectly clear to me:
> How long is a unicast address valid?

Until its valid lifetime expires.

> - Until the host gets disconnected from the link?
> - Until some timeout expires (e.g. Router Lifetime, DHCP Lifetime)?
> - Some other trigger (e.g. L2 trigger)?

> For example: If a host gets disconnected (e.g. wire gets pulled out)
> from a link and shortly after it gets reconnected. Does it send the
> Router Solicitation with its previous address or the unspecified address?

Pure protocol-wise, the host would be supposed to perform duplicate
address detection again.  Once the uniqueness of the address is
(re)confirmed (normally in about 1 second), it can use that address as
the source of RS.  If it cannot wait for that period, it can send the
RS with an unspecified source address.

In practice, the behavior in such a case may vary among different
implementations, though.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.