Re: Router Solicitations

At Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:55:24 +0200,
Niklas Neumann <niklas.neumann@cs.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:

> Thank you all for your answers. If I have more follow-up questions I
> will post to the 6man list.
>
> The background were just some theoretical considerations that we made
> about the IPv6 autoconfiguration and its "durability".
> The basic question was if a host would try to keep an address when using
> the autoconfiguration. To be precise: If it would would keep using a
> previously assigned address as its unicast source address in Router
> Solicitation requests even after being disconnected from and then
> reconnected to a link (or switched off and back on).
> Compared to DHCP for example were the servers usually reassign the same
> IP-Address to hosts. I know that with IPv6 nobody will care about
> IP-Addresses so much anymore but if they are somewhat persistent with
> the autoconfiguration they would still provide some recognizability.

The key is to perform DAD whenever the address you're going to use may
have been (validly) used by someone else.  In that sense there's
nothing special for addresses configured via stateless
autoconfiguration (the discussion equally applies to addresses
obtained via DHCPv6 and ones manually configured).

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.