Re: On issue 6: Avi review of I-D Action:draft-ietf-radext-design-13.txt

On 04-06-2010, at 01:07 , Alan DeKok wrote:

> Avi Lior wrote:
>> Section 1.3 ....
>>
>> While SDOs and vendors MAY choose to create specifications not
>>   following these guidelines, this should be done only when those
>>   specifications are intended for use in scenarios within a limited
>>   scope of applicability.  Where general usage is possible, adhering to
>>   these guidelines is RECOMMENDED.
>>
>> Unless i am missing something  -- the above states that they dont have to be compatible.
>
>  No, it does not.  The word "compatible" does not appear in that text.
> I have no idea what you mean by "compatible".  That word could mean
> almost anything.
>
>  Two SDOs may choose to ignore the guidelines, but may still both be
> "compatible", or they may not be "compatible".  The document does not
> distinguish between those two scenarios.

In the context of this document and in the context of the specific section I was commenting on --  i think it is darn clear what we mean by compatible or incompatible.

In any case....

>  The document suggests that incompatibility is a problem to be avoided.
> You assert that the document says the exact opposite.
>
>  I repeat my objection: No, it doesn't.

No i don't assert the opposite.  I am saying the document allows for SDOs to create incompatible specifications.  To repeat what I said with appropriate words highlighted:  "the document asserts SDOs DONT HAVE TO BE COMPATIBLE."

back to the original issue - that is issue 6:

Issue 6: Section 3.2

" These approaches are often incompatible, leading to
  additional complexity in RADIUS implementations."

Just say "These approaches often lead to additional complexity in RADIUS implementations."

I dont see the need to bring incompatibility statement into this paragraph.