Re: NETCONF Instance Identifiers

Balazs Lengyel wrote:
Hello,
If we use xpath to identify instances, does this need the the xpath capability? If a server/client does not support xpath capability how do we identify instances?
You are asking: Must the NMS understand any Xpath at all?

When the agent is generating an instance ID, it can only show up in
the <error-path> element.  This optional element is already defined as
an Xpath expression, so the agent does not actually have to use it.
But the NMS must understand it.  Obviously the NMS
must understand Xpath to issue <get-config> or <get> requests which
use an Xpath filter, and the agent must advertise the xpath capability
or it will generate an operation-not-supported (or is it invalid-value?) error.

The real issue ($64 bonus question) is:  instances of WHAT?
Literal instances of XML subtrees? Or conceptual instances of
complex data structures within a NETCONF-aware data modeling language?

Balazs

Andy