Re: NETCONF Instance Identifiers

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@iu-bremen.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 07:34:37AM -0700, Andy Bierman wrote:
>
> > Several people have requested that we solve this problem.
> > I don't think it needs to be tied to the Notification work,
> > but it is useful for notification content to have a common way to describe
> > a particular instance of an XML element within a NETCONF data model.
> >
> > It seems to me this problem is fairly simple.
> > It seems to me we could agree on naming without agreeing
> > on any particular data modeling language constructs,
> > because an instance identifier is just an absolute Xpath expression.
>
> Using xpath (or a subset of it) is fine with me. I note, however, that
> once we go down this path, we have a situation where we use instance
> identifiers where subtree filtering is unable to select such
> instances.

You mean b/c of the use of position()?  I assume that position() would
be used only when the data model indicates that there is a set of
instances, but they don't have a key.  So I guess the real issue is
that if the data model allows instances without keys, then subtree
filtering can't be used to select such instances.

/martin