Re: Verbs Again (was RE: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt)

Phil Shafer wrote:
Andy Bierman writes:
This is no different than standard MIB modules.

We _have_ to be different than the process that made standard MIBs
if we want to be usable for configuration.  We can't follow the
same path and expect that folks will use ours just because it's in
XML.  There has to be more.

IETF WGs have managed for years to define standard MIB objects,
even though proprietary MIB objects also exist.

If you see this as successful (for configuration), why are we here?

SNMP has problems as an API for configuration that NETCONF
addresses fairly well.  However, the basic concept of a WG
reaching consensus on the syntax and semantics of individual
standard knobs for standard protocols is still valid.

There are many people (including myself) who believe that
standard configuration data models are a critical component
to a complete standards based solution for network configuration.

I completely agree that standard configuration data models are
critical, but I do not agree that they are trivial.  I think this
is the next big hurdle for this working group.  The question on the
floor is whether we should stop other work until we have a real
meta-model for configuration and a way of specifying standard data
models that will work in the real world.  If so, let's stop talking
about notifications and get our butts in gear on modeling.

Me, I don't want to wait for it.  I want to see usable capabilities
for doing operational tasks that applications need in order to
manage devices.  Things like file transfer, call-home, software
installation, reboot, and system status.  I think we can progress
in these areas in parallel.

But if the concensus if that we can't, we should stop talking about
other topics while we work on modeling.

I know we should be working on data modeling instead of notifications
but we aren't.  That is still no excuse for not using the
standard <edit-config> and <get> operations.

I don't think data organization should be that hard,
and we don't have to organize the entire world right now.
We just have to organize the netconf protocol data.

I use the following organization (which can be nested and repeat)

 <application-name  xmlns="owner-namespace">
   <parameter-set-name>
     <parameter-name>
   </parameter-set-name>
   <monitor-set-name>
      <mon-object-name>
   </monitor-set-name>
 </application-name>

E.g.;

 <netconf xmlns="netconf-data">
   <notification-config>
   </notification-config>
   <notification-mon>
   </notification-mon>
 </netconf>

(read-only data can be defined in a parameter set, but the
monitor set is supposed to be used instead for data sets
that are all read-only)

Something simple like this should be good enough to get us started.

Thanks,
 Phil

Andy