RE: Verbs Again

Phil,

I see one big difference between state data and config data that is read
only on a *specific* device. My point is that config data is potentially
writable, just not on the device in question. To keep with the syslog
sample: I could modify stock syslogd to accept configuration via a
hypothetical syslog-streams configuration object (the same that's
queried). So in theory it is for read-write access. Some devices might
actually grant read-write access, some just read access (because their
vendor doesn't care about implementing write access for whatever reason)
and some others do not implement it at all.

I think this idea is beyond syslog. I agree with Andy that the netconf
WG most probably is not the right place to discuss syslog data models.
Unfortunately, the syslog-sec WG is also not the right place (being in
the security area and chartered to just provide a secure transport). It
might make sense to try to form a WG that looks at syslog configuration
and content standardization.

Rainer