Re: draft-shafer-netconf-syslog-00.txt

Balazs Lengyel writes:
>1) I want to fetch recorded data from yesterday 12:00Z till
>13:00Z. The draft doesn't seem
>to allow this as the stop time is already in the past. I would allow this!

The draft allows this; see 3.2.1.1 (Closing the Response).

>2) Same comments as for Sharon's draft:
>Use a data model for streams and use the get and edit-config
>operations instead of a custom operation for a small set of special
>(?) data. Even if streams can be defined in multiple ways
>(configuration, system default, etc.) they still can nicely be modeled
>as read-only data.

System defaults aren't read-only data; see 1.3 in the netconf-prot
spec.

> > I'm not prepared to be the first lamb on that altar.  ;^)
>Someone has to be :-) otherwise NETCONF is dead already.

Nope, it's the opposite.  NETCONF is in its infancy.  The raw config
parts are starting to gel and get widely implemented but the role of
standard data models, how they are defined, where they fit, how and
when the translation between the standard and the device-specific
occurs, and what to do when things don't quite translate are all wide
open areas which need tons of work.

We should work to make our puppy grow up, but should continue to do
reasonable work in parallel to allow the growing pup is useful asap
for taming real world problems.

Thanks,
 Phil