Re: [idn] Re: Fwd: Unicode letter ballot

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:33:44PM +0900, Soobok Lee wrote:

> "Chaos" does not mean stringprep/nameprep is a total failure. For example,
> stringprep/nameprep is useful and satisfactory for everyday hangul syllable use!

I will add this: Precomposed hangul syllables (in every day use) remain unchanged
through NFC.  But other ancient-syllable-forming jamo sequences may not be treated
as it should be due to NFC's errors which is dated to the early stage of
ISO10646/NFC deveopments.

If option A wins in the coming ballot, then I will push forward "correct NFC's hangul
jamo handling errors!" in Unicode 4.0, because NFC backward compatibility promises would
be regarded as being broken already in those cases of 5 CJK characters. I think "backward
compatiblity promise of NFC" is useful and neccesary but proved to be premature at least
in current version 3.2.  It is proved that proofreading takes much time.

If option B wins, careful zone admin guidelines can help to alleviate the problems
into less painful levels, as though they could not elliminate the problem completely.
Of course, option A causes some transitional (3.2->4.0) problems , which will however
disappear sometime.