Re: [idn] Re: Fwd: Unicode letter ballot

On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:39:57AM +0100, Martin v. L?wis wrote:
> Soobok Lee <lsb@postel.co.kr> writes:
>
> > If option A wins, I see a chaos:
>
> I don't see chaos. Since these are compatibility characters, they
> won't be part of any registered domain. Users of domains that contain
> the compatibility equivalents of these characters should simply use
> those equivalents in their HTML pages.

Right, if the html page use NFCed UTF8 as basic encoding.

But, Most homepages in east asia use local charset /encoding. And
that requires localcharset<->unicode conversion that produces
compatibility CJKs which will be further fed into nameprep.
Korean IME produces compatiblity-CJK-equivalent KSX characters in
interactive input session on the url bar in browsers.

Soobok Lee

> Notice that this "problem" already exists for Unicode 3.2.0, and
> U+F951:

Yes. This issue is not new problem. We had already discussed . And
concluded it is not a big problem. but, this instance of 5 chars
seems to need serious decision that we had not expected, iMO.
the pure possiblity become the reality.

Soobok lee