Re: [idn] length restrictions on IDN label

Soobok Lee wrote:

James Seng wrote:

Let me repeat again,

the restriction is octet(ToASCII(X)) <= 63 (sorry, forget the =).

The length restriction of a domain name (incidently, UTF-8 encoded string
which looks like domain name is not a domain name)

I cant' agree on your parenthesized claims. Please look into IDNA draft sections
which mention utf8 encoding as alternative encoding for labels in applications
and future protocols and even in future DNS protocols.

Soobok Lee

in a DNS UDP packet is
something beyond this working group.
The restriction orginated from RFC1035 affects all label creation/validations.
And "octet(ToASCII(X)) <= 63" seems to loosen the restrictions about
8bit labels. That is why i think RFC1035 restriction is about to be obsoleted.

Please bring it to the DNSEXT working  group.

As a novice IETF pariticpant, I have little experience with DNSEXT WG.
Would  Area Directors make comment on this issue, Erik ?

Soobok Lee