Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

Mark.Andrews@isc.org wrote:

> The alphabetic characters in this context are 0x41-0x5a and 0x61-0x7a
> (zero parity ASCII A-Z, a-z).  All others are compared exactly.

That may be what the popular DNS implementations do, but I don't see RFC
1035 saying how to compare 0x80-0xFF.

"Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com> wrote:

> You are the only one that is unclear on it.  0x80-0xFF must match
> exactly.

I'm not the only one.  Here's an excerpt from a message by John Klensin:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/ietf/Current/msg15742.html

RFC1035> For all parts of the DNS that are part of the official
RFC1035> protocol, all comparisons between character strings (e.g.,
RFC1035> labels, domain names, etc.) are done in a case-insensitive
RFC1035> manner.  At present, this rule is in force throughout the
RFC1035> domain system without exception.

John Klensin> To emphasize, that is "all parts" and "all comparisons",
John Klensin> not "unless you happen to find the high bit turned on".

John Klensin> An existing and conforming implementation has no way to do
John Klensin> those required case-insensitive comparisons outside the
John Klensin> ASCII range.

Robert Elz> No, nor is it required to.

John Klensin> There we probably disagree -- I suggest that the text is
John Klensin> at least ambiguous and might require it.

AMC