Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

> At 12:23 AM -0500 5/29/02, Eric A. Hall wrote:
> >You are the only one that is unclear on it. 0x80-0xFF must match
> >exactly.
>
> Funny, that doesn't match what a DNS expert posted a little before
> you did; maybe there is more unclarity than you think.
>
> Further, neither your rules nor Mark's rules take into account the
> many encodings that don't reserve the octets used for ASCII. Think
> UTF-16. Or ISO-2022-JP. Or numerous others.
>
> --Paul Hoffman, Director
> --Internet Mail Consortium

	The rules are how you compare labels as "they appear on
	the wire".

	If you are using a local encoding that does not reserve
	the those octets to ASCII (like one of the EBCIDCs) you
	map to ASCII then compare.  IBM has been doing that for
	years for their main frames.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@isc.org