Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

The disagreement between kre and myself about how to read  the
spec is, indeed, I think the key to this issue.  It should be
noted that we disagree about two things, which are separate:

(i) Whether the correct reading on the DNS specs is that "ASCII"
versus "binary" is a function of RR type, or a function of the
bits in the octets.  I take the text to suggest that _only_
ASCII (note, ASCII, not LDH) is permitted in RR types defined in
or by 1034/1035, but that "future" RR types (and Classes) can be
defined to have binary labels.  Robert takes it as permitted
characters outside the ASCII range, with case handling undefined
for those characters.

(ii) Whether the documents are clear or not, at least on this
matter.  Robert believes that they are.  Perhaps we are in
agreement -- I think they are fairly clear too, but in the other
direction-- but that is at least the basis for a claim of
ambiguity (or that I am an idiot, which is also a reasonable
possibility).

      john

--On Wednesday, May 29, 2002 11:59 PM +0000 "Adam M. Costello"