Re: [idn] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-idn-idna-08.txt

> "Eric A. Hall" <ehall@ehsco.com> wrote:
>
> > > As far as I know, no use for the 8th bit has ever been standardized.
> >
> > The standardized usage is local interpretation.  Any usage is
> > compliant.
>
> I'll agree that any usage is compliant, but by definition "local
> interpretation" is not "standardized".  By the way, using the 8th bit is
> risky, because the DNS spec is very unclear (if not downright silent)
> about how DNS servers compare octets with the 8th bit set.

	I don't know what's "unclear" or "silent" about the following
	from RFC 1035.

Although labels can contain any 8 bit values in octets that make up a
label, it is strongly recommended that labels follow the preferred
syntax described elsewhere in this memo, which is compatible with
existing host naming conventions.  Name servers and resolvers must
compare labels in a case-insensitive manner (i.e., A=a), assuming ASCII
with zero parity.  Non-alphabetic codes must match exactly.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@isc.org