Re: host names and nameprep (was: Re: [idn] IRIs ought to useinternationalized *host* names)

Martin Duerst wrote:

> Looking back on when working on nameprep as a member of the design
> team, I think the distinction between host names and domain names
> wasn't clear, at least to me, and probably to several other
> participants.

That has been my view from the outside as well, and it has resulted in a
split-the-baby approach which serves neither usage. The most likely
outcome IMO is that nameprep will be the first document in the series to
get replaced.