Re: [idn] Re: 7 bits forever!

Edmon Chung wrote:

> [...]

What is your reasoning for this?

Also, would you have the client perform all recovery operations, such as
retransmitting the original UTF-8 query once a problematic delegation
server had been gotten around? These will still result in caches being
updated but it will essentially result in each application implementing
its own full-service resolver.

> But we are anticipating that this be a "transitional" phase only.
> Eventually, IDN/EDNS will be common place.

I agree that the end-result will be an EDNS-majority, but I think it will
take so long that it is better designed as a coexistence than transition.
In the end, we want it to be transitional, but for the next 10+ years it
will be coexistence, IMO.