Re: [idn] URL encoding in html page

> > Would using ACE here be a change to the HTTP spec
>
> No.  ACE host labels are honest-to-goodness valid ASCII host labels, so
> you can use them wherever traditional ASCII host labels are allowed.
> You don't need any special permission or invitation.

Well the HTTP spec doesn't forbid the characters used in ACE, to be sure.
But you are tunnelling a new form of information through the legacy protocol,
right? As an implementor of a web server, how do I know how to interpret
the "host:" field in the HTTP header? If I see something that looks like ACE,
I suppose I would need to decode it to the original UTF-8 to compare with
my virtual domain definitions. As a WG member, I could probably figure out
that I need to do that, but I don't see where that is implied by the specification.

Bruce