Re: [idn] Moving Towards UTF8 vs ASCII(ACE) Forever

>> Provably false: well-coded applications know the limitations of domain
>> names, and do not even attempt to make requests for non-ASCII names.
>
>First of all, I disagree with the "well-coded" part because I believe a
>well-coded application will do the dns request as is and allow the dns
>response to determine the validity of a domain name.

Nope.  You can almost certainly give your user a better error message if
you validate the input yourself.

For that matter, a well-designed application will not even make it
possible to enter anything but ASCII in an input field (whatever) for a
domain name.  Basic rule of usability: making user mistakes impossible is
better than catching them after the fact.

>Secondly, if this is
>the case, then the plugin should be intercepting the input to the app and
>not the output.  It is still a possibility.

No, because that input is highly application-specific.

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
|jstracke@incentivesystems.com   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Diplomacy: The art of letting someone else have your way|