Re: [idn] URL encoding in html page

> What if all the html viewable text is in english, but, only the href url contains
> legacy (korean) encoded hostnames?  chinese visitors would see clean english homepage,
> but fail to click through the korean link.

Well, that could happen, but a META tag would solve that so easily. Personally
I often use a simple text editor to deal with HTML, and would find it easier to
use legacy encodings or UTF-8 than cut-and-paste ACE from somewhere.
Of course the user could do it either way and it would work.

> MS IE 6.0 already know IDNA or UDNS?  Otherwise , do you mean that IE determines
> the encoding correctly if <META> charset tags are present in appropirate section
> in html pages ?

Right, except for the base URL bug I mentioned, it works fine.

> Is HTTP/1.2 being planned for IDN  HOST: values ?
> If not, HTTP/1.2 HOST: values should not contain any legacy/utf8 encoding.

Well, depending on how you want it to work, version 1.1 might be OK. It allows
%-escaped UTF-8 I believe. And the Apache web server takes it OK.
Of course if the browser sent ACE that would work too, and doesn't exactly
violate 1.1, but in that case you have to make sure that all your virtual site
definitions at the server are in ACE or that the server does the translation.

Would using ACE here be a change to the HTTP spec, or would an out-of-band
agreement be OK?

Bruce