Re: [idn] Chinese Domain Name Consortium (CDNC) Declaration

At 2:23 AM +0800 2/10/02, tsenglm@cc.ncu.edu.tw wrote:
>Can you specify more clearly ? we all like to know what is the reference ?

Sure. The "reference" is personal conversations that folks from CDNC
had with other people active in the IDN WG during the Salt Lake City
meeting. Many people met with CDNC members in Salt Lake City, and
many of us heard similar statements in our discussions.

>                1. make more money from registration

People from both CNNIC and TWNIC have said "we cannot do a 2^n
registration solution because we need to charge end users for each
name in the zone". Of course, you do not need to charge per name: you
can charge per group of names that come from a single base name. But
the fact that this argument still comes up leads one to think that
maybe you want to charge per name even though doing that will hurt
the Chinese people.

>                2. it is impossible to solve TC/SC

I never said that; I have said the opposite many times. What I said
was that it is impossible to get the solutions proposed in the tsconv
Internet Drafts approved by the IETF because of their obvious
technical and political flaws, all of which have been openly
discussed in the WG. During meetings in Salt Lake City, CDNC members
agreed with this and said that they would pursue a good
Traditional-Simplified solution outside the confines of the IETF.

>                3. registration policy can solve all ...

No one has ever said that "registration policy can solve all ...".
What has been said, and agreed to by TWNIC people, is that in the
absence of Traditional-Simplifed mapping in IDN, registration policy
can serve end users. It will not be consistent, so it will not serve
them as well as it would if we could have put it into IDN. Of course,
doing T-S registration can serve users better than anything that ever
appeared in the tsconv drafts because it will not be limited to 1:1
mapping, and it will allow mapping that comes from humans instead of
limited tables.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium