Re: [idn] Chinese Domain Name Consortium (CDNC) Declaration

Dear Paul,

Paul Hoffman / IMC wroteˇG

> The message from CDNC says that the Traditional-Simplified problem
> for Chinese users cannot be solved by registration policy. This is
> not true, and many of the CDNC members who have come to IETF meetings
> know that.

Interesting question. As we could also noticed,  functions of nameprep,
mapping,
prohibit, and normalization can all be performed by registration policy.
So, what's
the point of asking this question?

Anyway, from our point of view, nameprep mechanism helps to make sure
that all
international registries  follow a global set of rules and it becomes the
core set of
registration policy.

Since the WG insists on a client solution based on Unicode, without on
such technical
solution, we have no way to depend on the courtesy of internationalized
companies
to make registration policies being friendly to language communities
including Chinese
who will be most seriously damaged by the decision of the WG. It would be
a pity
if we could not prevent greedy business from dumping defective domain
name products
into Chinese community. We definitely are positive for your efforts in
bring up a solution
that solves DN problem for many languages. But, please do not force the
Chinese
community to be the victim of the side-effect.

> Of course, CDNC members would like to maximize their
> financial gain in registration, but the concern of the IETF is always
> towards helping users. There is a huge different between "cannot be
> solved" and "it will cost a small number of organizations a lot of
> money".

This is also interesting. As far as I know, TWNIC has their social
responsibily
in our country. There major concern for TWNIC to work with IDN WG is
consumer
protection. The reason why they work on TC/SC, is that we all aware the
lack
of an international standard on Han variants which we could use to
convince the
WG to pay attention. Thus TC/SC becomes the best hope because it's
something
exists for more than 50 years. If the working group could adopt it, then
at least this is
something for all registries to restrict their name space a little bit
and not too make
too much trouble to Chinese community. It's a very humble wish, but
unfortunately, was
rejected by the WG. On the other hand, I can assure you that there is no
way for TWNIC
to make a registration policy without taking the maximum set of Han
variants into account.
As a non-profit organization, consumer protection is beyond the goal of
making a big
profit. Furthermore, dometistic consumer protection groups will not allow
that to
happen either.

I am going back to my family in another city for Chinese New Year now.
I'll respond to
the rest of your questions as soon as possible.

By the way, I have trouble sending a message with a long list of
recipients. Could you
cut your list shorter please? I guess most people on your list is already
on IDN list.
Thanks,

-- Janming Ho, PhD
Deputy Director