Re: [idn] Alpha Online

At 11:28 PM +0000 2/6/02, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
>The question remains: Will an Alpha Online organization be allowed to
>register qol.com, with q changed to a lowercase alpha?

If you have a question for ICANN, you should address it to ICANN.
Asking a question like this in the IETF is pretty useless.

>The question is whether case insensitivity will---beyond imposing huge
>software costs and creating huge new opportunities for fraud---prevent
>legitimate users from registering perfectly reasonable domain names.

If the case-matching table we have would impose "huge" software
costs, what will the software costs be for a table that will probably
be an order of magnitude larger? That is a rhetorical question, of
course; correctly making a list of look-alike characters is
essentially impossible. But I am interested in how much bigger than
"huge" your proposal would cost.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium