Re: [idn] Alpha Online

At 12:25 AM 2/6/2002 +0000, D. J. Bernstein wrote:
>Under trademark law, cybersquatting law, etc., there is probably no
>conflict between qol.com and aol.com, but there is obviously a conflict
>between the uppercase versions of the same names, because those
>uppercase versions use the same glyphs: AOL.COM.

 From one jurisdiction to the next, trademark law is complicated enough and
variable enough to strongly suggest that predictions about trademark
disputes are best left to experienced trademark attorneys.  Those of us on
this list are dabblers in the law and our opinions about outcomes do not
have much basis.

>I continue to be amazed at the carelessness of the IDNA proponents.

Some of us continue to be amazed at the constant hyperbole and ad hominem
disparagement offered by others.

All that is achieved by this high emotion is low counter-productivity.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464