RE: [idn] Alpha Online

Hi,

My two cents...

There are lots of postings here (I just rejoined this mailing list)
presuming that case sensitive domain names are reasonable or even
desirable.

Yet RFC 1035 "Domain Names - Implementation and Specification" says
(on page 8):

    Note that while upper and lower case letters are allowed in domain
    names, no significance is attached to the case.  That is, two names with
    the same spelling but different case are to be treated as if identical.

And RFC 2616 "HTTP/1.1" in section 3.2.3 "URI Comparison says
(on page 20):

    When comparing two URIs to decide if they match or not, a client
    SHOULD use a case-sensitive octet-by-octet comparison of the entire
    URIs, with these exceptions:

       - A port that is empty or not given is equivalent to the default
         port for that URI-reference;

         - Comparisons of scheme names MUST be case-insensitive;

         - An empty abs_path is equivalent to an abs_path of "/".

It's likely that the attempt to retroactively introduce case sensitive
domain names will simply break almost all deployed Internet software.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald
  High North Inc