[idn] Unicode vs. IDN-CDN( personal opinion )

WITH SOME REVISION
Hello, every member of IDN maillist,

All that I said here is only my personal opinion, if anything
that I present is wrong, please correct me with my pleasure. I am a
student, so I try to understand such problem and express my opinion in a

student's point of view. I have often discussed such problems with my
classmates in
Chinese Academy of Sciences; they also doubt why we are still working on

such problem, which has incomplete and faulty basis, in IETF which is
the highest and authoriative techinical organizaiton in Internet area.
Including WG chairs and many kind and wisdom persons, many people have
made many efforts in IDN, and proposed many solutions for IDN, to be
truth, however, current standards and technologies cannot meet the goal
of such WG. It is a big challenge as everyone knows.

Recently, we often talked about the impact of Unicode ambiguity on CJK;
will follow such concept, which doesn't mean I don't support Unicode CJK

unification that is a great work achieved by some experts in CJK area.

Of course, I don't want to oppugn if Unicode is appropriate or not,
because there are no better solutions than choosing Unicode as the
standard of IDN. What I want to do is to pick out the default bought by
selecting Unicode and to explain why we do 1-1 mapping in IDN and leave
other cases in other ways, such as registration or IRNSS. Some people in

this mail list oppugn TC/SC draft is an incomplete solution and cannot
be understand, I wish what I said could help them to understand the
difficulty and essential of TC/SC problems.

Nameprep announced that it would follow the change of Unicode. Because
Unicode only collect the scripts of most languages of the world, so it
cannot handle many problems, such as TC/SC. Of course, it doesn't
collect all scripts simply, it has been doing CJK unification, all
characters in same scripts are reduced to one code point in Unicode,
that is very useful in information exchange in CJK area, but it bring
much trouble for us to do TC/SC equivalent in IDN or CDN. So Unicode is
very successful in many technical areas, but it is an incomplete
solution for IDN, for at lease it cannot meet the requirement of CDN,
which own more than 70% code points in Unicode. That is why Mr. Kenny
Huang proposed to prohibit CJK code points in IDNA, I think.

Unicode has done CJK horizontal unification, and as some persons from
Unicode said, they are considering doing vertical unification in CJKV,
which will handle some problems, including TC/SC equivalent. WILL
NAMEPREP FOLLOW SUCH UNIFICATION IN THE FUTURE? I am wondering how to
deal with many problems caused by current IDN selection in the future,
and how does IETF explain such results for so many CJK users? So as a
co-author of Tsconv draft, I proposed to solve some doubtless problems
in IDN, and leave uncertain problems for the future or other area, which

is not a big problem as someone imaged and worried. Theoretically, if
some problems are very difficult to solve, why don't we solve it step by

step?

If someone thinks I bring a problem not to be worth discussing, just
cancel it please, because when I saw recent many messages around such
problem, I feel a little pity about the future of IDN. Why don't we
select some feasible solution, more than doing hurried LAST-CALL for all

core documents.

I think we should split TC/SC problems into two parts: non-disputed 1-1
part and
the other, for the first part, it is the task of IDN, for the other
part, we could
handle them in IRNSS maybe.  and that, with IDN and IRNSS, we could try
to provide a perfect solution for end users, I think.

Anyway, I suggest all members to consider such problem carefully and put

IDN into a successful process!

Best Regards!

--

      XiaoDong LEE ( X.D. Lee )