From: "Marc Blanchet" <Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca>
To: "Hollenbeck, Scott" <shollenbeck@verisign.com>; <idn@ops.ietf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 10:05 PM
Subject: RE: [idn] IDN WG Last Call: draft-hoffman-stringprep-00.txt

-- mardi, janvier 29, 2002 08:16:24 -0500 "Hollenbeck, Scott"
<shollenbeck@verisign.com> wrote/a écrit:

> Marc,
>
> A process point: this document is still written as an individual
> submission; it's not listed as a WG I-D.  Is it within the WG's scope
> conduct a last call on the document?  Maybe it should be renamed and
> adopted by the WG first.

- good point.
- we have discussed about it with the ADs.
- the "old" version of nameprep was split in two documents:
  + stringprep, which is essentially a framework
  + and the current nameprep, which is a profile of stringprep.
  + the idea behind this split is to "standard reusability" ;-)). We
feel
(and actually see it) that this work would be useful for other working
groups, but not necessarily in the exact same manner: so the rationale
behind a framework document and profiles. One profiles for iSCSI is
currently in the works, for example.
- the "old" version of nameprep was a wg document, so the splitted two
should be.
- even if we don't see stringprep as wg document, there is another
rationale:
 + nameprep references stringprep: this means that we (the ietf
community
in general) must forward the two documents to the IESG for simultaneous
publication (as individual or wg document,doesn't matter).
 + stringprep contains a key discussion on versioning and other useful
info, which must be read and implemented by implementors of idn.
- so even if we might fight about the fact that stringprep is a wg
document
or not, it is still important that all people in this wg review
stringprep
closely. This will get a much stronger case for publishing it as RFC.
This
is why we do a wg last call on it.  As you know, it happens often in the
IETF that wg do wg last calls on documents that do not belong to their
wg,
just to have a much broader review. So this is a similar case.

- so the first goal here is to have this wg have a close review of
stringprep. The fact that it is a wg document or not is not that
important.

Marc.

> -Scott-

Host
>> Names. The original nameprep document was split into 2 documents:
>> stringprep and nameprep.
>>

>> The co-chairs see a wg rough concensus on this document.
>> Please send any proposed modification of the text to the wg
>> mailing list as
>> well as to the wg co-chairs, stating clearly the text to be
>> modified and
>> the new text.
>>
>> Marc & James

Marc Blanchet