RE: [idn] IDN WG Last Call: draft-hoffman-stringprep-00.txt

At 08:16 AM 1/29/2002 -0500, Hollenbeck, Scott wrote:
>A process point: this document is still written as an individual submission;
>it's not listed as a WG I-D.  Is it within the WG's scope to conduct a last
>call on the document?  Maybe it should be renamed and adopted by the WG
>first.

there is no benefit in doing this.

naming an I-D to be within a working group is helpful during the working
group process, to let people know what documents they MUST look at, if they
wish to be current on working group activities.

Renaming this document might have been nice 6 months ago.  Not now.

The only things accomplished by changing the name now will be distraction
and more delay.  Marc's response to you is a good indication of these
effects.  He has diligently responded to your suggestion and the result is
frankly confusing.  (That's not a criticism to his response but to the
nature of dealing with your suggestion.)

The important thing to note is that there is not real benefit to making the
name change, since it is the TITLE on the first page that is relevant to an
rfc, NOT the I-D label.

d/

Dave Crocker  <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
tel +1.408.246.8253;  fax +1.408.273.6464