RE: new version of the CPE Rtr draft is ready for review

> > I disagree.  I foresee a time in the very near future when most
> > residential users will need at least two subnets, one for their own
> use
> > and one for the use of their guests with mobile devices.  I do not
> > believe residential subscribers will accept systems that require
> giving
> > their temporary guests full access to their private home networks even
> on
> > a temporary basis.
>
> You think residential subscribers even know the difference or what
> "full access" or "subnet" means?  You have more faith in users than I
> do.

There lies the rub. The subnet is not a very good match to the notion of home network. For a user, the "home network" is "the machines in my home", which may or may not be actually connected to the same subnet. For example, my cell phone may or may not be connected to the wi-fi home network, yet I expect it to get music files from my home server. Conversely, if I live in an apartment building, there may well be computers that are connected to the same subnet, yet should not be allowed to mess with my home machines.

Bottom line, we should stop relying to the wiring topology for security.

-- Christian Huitema