Re: new version of the CPE Rtr draft is ready for review

On Dec 9, 2008, at 12:26, Chuck Anderson wrote:
On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 09:47:40AM -0800, james woodyatt wrote:
On Dec 8, 2008, at 01:57, Mohacsi Janos wrote:

I think more than95% percent of the home users belongs to this
category. More sophisticated methods (DHCPv6 with prefix delegation)
could be offered to the rest of the users...

I disagree.  I foresee a time in the very near future when most
residential users will need at least two subnets, one for their own use
and one for the use of their guests with mobile devices.  I do not
believe residential subscribers will accept systems that require giving their temporary guests full access to their private home networks even on
a temporary basis.

You think residential subscribers even know the difference or what "full access" or "subnet" means? You have more faith in users than I do.

No, I don't think they should have to know the technical details necessary to give them what they want, but I do think A) that's what they want, and B) the right way to give it to them is to have more than one subnet.

--
james woodyatt <jhw@apple.com>
member of technical staff, communications engineering