DON'T use ipv6 install, use netsh int ipv6 install (Was: some real life data)

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
[..]
> Could it be that XP by default runs Teredo when one does "ipv6 install",
> and Vista has 6to4 enabled by default, but not Teredo?

One very very very big note here: NEVER USE ipv6 install.
Note that ipv6.exe is deprecated and will be totally removed in the future.

"ipv6 install" was indeed the method to use for the BETA versions of the
IPv6 stack, but it is different from what the final "netsh interface
ipv6 install" does, which is the one that one has to use.

Thus, if people want to install IPv6 on XP/Vista, either:
 - use the Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Interface
   and add the protocol like anything else,
or:
 - netsh interface ipv6 install

From what I understood (I am sure the Microsoft folks can enlighten us
here a lot ;) there are some nasty differences between the two, and I
have heard about people having broken setups with ipv6.exe while it
would work after doing a reinstall and then using netsh.

Greets,
 Jeroen