some real life data

Hi.

I conducted an experiment to collect some ipv4/v6 data with the help of a certain large p2p bittorrent tracker website. I had them include javascript code that would load three 42 byte gifs upon webpage load completion (to not impact user experience). The site itself wasn't v6 enabled. The site itself is biased towards the scandinavian geographical region, but has a worldwide user base.

The first gif was loaded from an address with a single A record (v4only).
Second had both A and AAAA (v4v6).
Third had just AAAA (v6only).

I haven't put all the data into a neat presentation or anything yet (though I have given it to others who will), but I thought I'd share some key numbers ("user" here is an IP number in the log, where each IP number is only counted once, I only used unix tools like cut/awk/sort/uniq etc, nothing fancy). This data is only from around 24 hours or collecting, but still hundreds of thousands of unique IPs.

0.5% of the users pulled the v4v6 gif using IPv6.

6% of the users were able to get the v6only gif.

Of the v6only accesses, 91% were from 6to4 addresses, 7% were teredo and 2% were from other ipv6 space. The "other ipv6 space" was from 58 different /32s.

Of the users getting v6 only gif from non-tunnel-space, 58% were from Proxad (free.fr I believe), and then on the list came UNINET, SUNET, FUNET (university networks in .no, .se and .fi) and Hurricane electric.

98% of Teredo users run Windows XP.
88% of 6to4 users run Windows Vista.

The difference in page loads between v4only and v4v6 was 0.4%, indicating that some users might have problems loading something that has both A and AAAA DNS. This might be that it's slower, doesn't work, or simply that some users clicked on a link before that gif was loaded. The gifs were loaded in the order indicated above, with the javascript function "window.onload".

Feedback appreciated.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se