Re: implications of 6to4 for v6coex

On 2008-10-03 12:43, Nathan Ward wrote:
> On 3/10/2008, at 2:26 AM, Erik Kline wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Brian E Carpenter
>> <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just to be clear, the issue is not with basic 6to4, which was intended
>>> to be implemented only in routers. It's with the "obvious" extension
>>> to allow host-based 6to4, which led fairly quickly to the notion
>>> of anycast relays and the resulting lack of both configuration and of
>>> a discovery protocol.
>>
>> Well it seems to be working well enough (or popular enough, anyway).
>> What if I said that 69.8% of IPv6-enabled users who visit google.com
>> have 6to4?

That's the least I'd expect, as an author of 6to4 ;-)

Any stats for Teredo?

> So, Brian disagrees with the host based 6to4 thing, ie. the way Windows
> Vista and XPSP2 do it.

No, I don't disagree with it, I just want to remind people that most
of the thinking about how 6to4 routes should be announced was based
on the router model, without considering either automatic discovery
or anycast.

> I don't think that the anycast relays has anything to do with the host
> based stuff. It might have been related thought trains in peoples' minds
> in 2001, but the anycast relays are just as relevant to router-based
> 6to4 as they are to host-based 6to4.

Except that the idea was that router relationships for 6to4 would be
configured by mutually consenting operators; whereas the anycast model
implies zero-conf. There's a gap in the middle where a discovery
protocol could live.

> For example, Airport Extreme, Linksys RVS4000, Cisco 8XX+config, etc.
> So, it's not just Windows.
>
> I'm not so hot on 6to4 stacks in hosts either, but my problem is wider -
> it is more with automatically configured 6to4, which is not specific to
> hosts.

OK, but it's dominated by hosts, especially because of Vista.

    Brian