Re: implications of 6to4 for v6coex

On 3/10/2008, at 2:26 AM, Erik Kline wrote:
On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2008-09-20 12:54, Nathan Ward wrote:
On 20/09/2008, at 12:15 PM, james woodyatt wrote:
There is clearly something broken about 6to4, and I'm not sure how to
fix it.  Can it be saved as a standard?

Just to be clear, the issue is not with basic 6to4, which was intended
to be implemented only in routers. It's with the "obvious" extension
to allow host-based 6to4, which led fairly quickly to the notion
of anycast relays and the resulting lack of both configuration and of
a discovery protocol.

Well it seems to be working well enough (or popular enough, anyway).
What if I said that 69.8% of IPv6-enabled users who visit google.com
have 6to4?

So, Brian disagrees with the host based 6to4 thing, ie. the way Windows Vista and XPSP2 do it.

I don't think that the anycast relays has anything to do with the host based stuff. It might have been related thought trains in peoples' minds in 2001, but the anycast relays are just as relevant to router- based 6to4 as they are to host-based 6to4.

For example, Airport Extreme, Linksys RVS4000, Cisco 8XX+config, etc.
So, it's not just Windows.

I'm not so hot on 6to4 stacks in hosts either, but my problem is wider - it is more with automatically configured 6to4, which is not specific to hosts.

My feeling is still that this whole relay stealing thing is a non- issue in current implementations, I'll write up in a draft with some recommendations to remove that paragraph and bring it in line with most existing deployments.

Also, these stats are interesting, and are roughly the same as what I'd expect. So, my understanding is that this test is to a hostname with A and AAAA records, right? That would make sense, as Teredo will only be used by XP SP2 and Linux boxes who have Teredo enabled (Vista prefers A over AAAA if it only has Teredo IPv6 connectivity).

I don't think that you can accurately say that that you tested all IPv6 enabled users, because you aren't testing whether they are Vista and have Teredo enabled. Point em at a hostname with only AAAA and my expectation is that you'll significantly see different results - close to what I see, which are like:
- ~90% Teredo
- ~7-8% 6to4
- rest Native

--