Re: implications of 6to4 for v6coex

On 18/09/2008, at 11:37 PM, Nathan Ward wrote:

So, James' point here about the IPv4 interface being visible outside the provider seems strange at first - as we all assume that that address will be 192.88.99.1, so anyone trying to steal bandwidth using 6to4 would be sent to the nearest 192.88.99.0/24 instance, and if the provider in question does not advertise it outside their AS it will be no problem.

However, RFC3068 says:
<snip>
 Each 6to4 relay router that advertise the 6to4 anycast prefix MUST
 also provide an equivalent IPv4 unicast address.  Packets sent to
 that unicast address will follow the same processing path as packets
 sent to the anycast address, i.e., be relayed to the IPv6 Internet.
</snip>

Cisco's 6to4 implementation does not allow this. Neither does FreeBSD's. (Though, myself and colleagues have been able to do things to make it work on both platforms, but none of that is in the config examples you can find around the web)
I can't recall what Linux's implementation does.

I don't see a need for that paragraph in the RFC, and unless there's a reason for it, I think we should remove it, which in my understanding removes this whole problem.

For more fine grained control of who uses your relay, there is no reason you couldn't create a '6to4' MPLS VPN, and leak the 192.88.99.0/24 prefix to their customers who you wanted to receive service from their relay. Result is, transit customers get to some public relay, but end users on your network (say dsl or cable or whatever) get your 6to4 relay.

Also, as per Christian's followup comments, Teredo is far different to 6to4 - the IPv4 address must be exposed for it to work. If you don't want people to 'trombone' through your Teredo relay, put an ACL on there that permits traffic coming from the relay to be only from 2001::/32, and to only your IPv6 networks. That's much easier than attempting to keep state and things, and it's something that you can do right now.

--
Nathan Ward

The implications of the "MUST also provide an equivalent IPv4 unicast address" are the issue. If some providers wish to open up their relay's they MAY, but we should hardly expect providers to accept the role of relaying anyone and then dealing with the repercussions of anonymous attacks. I see a benefit to users in having the unicast addresses of 6to4 relays (ie. switching to better, but farther relays), however this behaviour should be up to the providers.

I do not know the history and the reason for the "MUST" in this paragraph, and I agree with Nathan's statement that this section in the RFC creates a problem if we implement a strict adherence to the RFC.

Truman Boyes