Re: Evolution of the IP model - ICMP and MTUs

Fernando Gont  - Le 8/18/08 5:29 PM :
At 12:03 p.m. 18/08/2008, Rémi Després wrote:

On 18 aug 2008, at 11:46, Rémi Després wrote:
Fixing the problem for IPv6 may be worth the pain, but fixing
it for IPv4 (the only subject of my comment) would IMO be
counterproductive.
Counterproductive?
In my Webster dictionary - 10th edition: "tending to hinder the attainment of a desired goal", the goal being here sucessful IPv6 deployment ;-).

Wouldn't be a better goal to have some many interesting features in
v6 that nobody could resist deploying it?> So you basically argue
that keeping problems in IPv4 (on which the current infrastructure
depends) would be a driver for v6?

Please note that I argue only for the particular problem at hand, not for all "problems".

As Iljitsch put it, what he calls a fix would involve "a new fragment header" (not defined overnight, I suppose, especially if it has to be applicable to both IPv4 and IPv6). And it "would of course take significant time to get deployed".

The point is then that energy would be better spent fixing IPv6 deployment problems (there remains a few, on which I personally try to be active), rather than spent complexifying IPv4 even more.

I haven't the view otherwise that making life purposedly difficult with
one solution in order to promote another one is a right approach.

Thanks for the opportunity to clarify it.

RD

(I must admit it is not the first time that I hear this type of argument, though... )

Kind regards,

-- Fernando Gont e-mail: fernando@gont.com.ar || fgont@acm.org PGP
Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1