Re: Evolution of the IP model - ICMP and MTUs

At 12:03 p.m. 18/08/2008, Rémi Després wrote:

On 18 aug 2008, at 11:46, Rémi Després wrote:
Fixing the problem for IPv6 may be worth the pain, but fixing it for IPv4 (the only subject of my comment) would IMO be counterproductive.
Counterproductive?
In my Webster dictionary - 10th edition: "tending to hinder the attainment of a desired goal", the goal being here sucessful IPv6 deployment ;-).

So you basically argue that keeping problems in IPv4 (on which the current infrastructure depends) would be a driver for v6?

Wouldn't be a better goal to have some many interesting features in v6 that nobody could resist deploying it?

(I must admit it is not the first time that I hear this type of argument, though... )

Kind regards,

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando@gont.com.ar || fgont@acm.org